11.13.2012

MAC 24/7 ▪ Waikiki

2500 Kuhio Avenue
Honolulu, Hawaii
808.921.5564
website

At the luau, Cee and I were seated with a couple on their honeymoon who had gone to Mac 24/7 for breakfast that morning. Although we weren't interested in their infamous pancake challenge, we still decided to check it out for lunch after taking a look at their menu online. The restaurant has a diner feel when you enter, but the dining room has quite a modern decor.

Mac 247 Mac 247-2
MAC 24/7.

I had read a blog post that the pineapple dreamsicle shake ($5) was delicious and unique. I rarely order large filling drinks because I worry about not having any room left for real food. However, the pineapple shake was worth it and truly amazing. Dreamy indeed! It was thick, rich, creamy and full of pineapple flavour! (I'm thinking this is worth trying to replicate as a low calorie version!)

Mac 247 - Pineapple Shake
Pineapple Dreamsicle Shake.

While Cee knew she wanted to continue her love affair with fried chicken by ordering the fried chicken and waffles ($18), I hum and hawed. On the one hand, it's rare to encounter fried chicken and waffles (in Canada anyway). On the other hand, I was worried that the portion would be large after witnessing the huge pancakes being eaten. I asked the waiter, and decided to go for the fried chicken and waffles.

Mac 247 - Waffles
Waffles.

The minute the plate hit the table I regretted my choice instantaneously. The portion was huge and I wasn't feeling up to eating that much (and I hate waste but we were going home soon). I did my best and ate 1 waffle and maybe 2 pieces of chicken. I honestly don't remember if it was good because I felt so overwhelmed. I was also disappointed by the corn syrup, being the spoiled Canadian girl that I am.

Mac 247 - Fried Chicken
Fried Chicken.

Overall, Mac 24/7 was good but I couldn't help feeling disappointed. I felt slightly misled because I had inquired about the size of the dish. Also, E got the wrong dish and the mistake barely registered with our server. I would recommend going there for the pineapple shake. If you do go for the pancake challenge, I think you need a good group of 4-6 people to eat all of it!

Mac 24-7 on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment